Winter is Coming….. and no we’re not referring to an episode from Game of Thrones! The weather is changing, mornings are darker and the days seem shorter. What’s more you’re quite probably leaving and returning home in darkness.
You may be spending the better part of each day stuck behind a desk or on shop floors meaning that the hobby you’ve invested so much time, fitness and money in all summer can feel like it’s going to waste.
So what prevents us venturing out this time of year? What are the best ways for you to combat this and keep you cycling through the dreary months?
Efficient top quality clothing and kit!
Chilly and Damp?
Probably the easiest excuse in the book, human beings don’t like the cold, we’re not designed for it. We’re also especially not equipped to deal with the 20-30mph wind chill on a cold day/night. The main things you need then are good quality layers!
You don’t need to look like the Michelin Man in order to be warm, a decent quality baselayer (or 2!!) and a warm windproof jacket should see you through no problem. The beauty also of these baselayers is that they tend to fit easily inside one of your rear pockets!
Along with the cold there’s nothing worse than being wet, it quite often leads to being cold, it’s sticky and causes terrible chaffing!
Here at Cranc Cyclesport we now stock the superb winter range from Castelli!
New for this year is Castelli’s updated Gabba jacket now dubbed the ‘Perfetto’ as the Gabba was often described as ‘Perfect’!
A windproof and highly water resistant jacket with a high neck, large pockets and a dropped back. Designed to keep you as warm as possible it’s available in a number of different colours. Featuring nanoflex material within, the Perfetto just beads water away!
- Fully aero, fully breathable and fully protected
- Windstopper X-Lite Plus fabric for lightweight total wind protection with water-repellent finish
- Nano Flex fabric insert under arms
- Storm-flap construction at back protects from wheel spray
- Silicone gripper on waistband to limit ride-up
- Full-length YKK Vislon zipper with wind flap
- 3 rear pockets with drain mesh
Besides this outer layer though one crucial quality baselayer is essential. Offered in the Castelli Flanders Warm LS to keep you warm and insulated. Whilst also keeping you, dry wicking moisture away.
- SottoZero Fleece multi-denier 100% polyester fabric
- Flat-lock seams
- Mesh armpit insert
- Flat hem tucks away in tights
For the days when you want to be the hero this winter and the perfetto may not be quite enough Castelli have their ever popular over-jacket. The Velo offers you a breathable windproof/shower proof layer to add that extra protection when you need it most!
- ForceField micro ripstop fabric is fully windproof and offers DWR rain protection
- Mesh-lined collar that becomes stuff sack
- Covered ventilation openings on sleeves and back
- Reflective Castelli wordmark logo
- Reflective back tabs
- Cut long for lower-body splash protection
Castelli’s Nano Flex fabric provides outstanding warmth and stretch with water resistance, using minimal seams to be able to offer you one of the best possible bibtights on the market.
- KISS Air seat pad for all-day comfort
- Mesh bib straps for breathability
- Reflective screen-printed Castelli graphic on both legs
- GIRO3 ankle grippers lie flat and seal around shoecover
- Ankle Camlock zippers with reflective tape for high visibility
The Sorpasso bibtight, the matching layer to the Perfetto Jacktet. A weather resistant pair of bibtights you couldn’t really ask any more of!
- Thermoflex Core Due fabric front and knee areas for extra protection
- Thermoflex back, lower legs and thighs for maximum stretch
- Giro++ seamless straps on bib
- GIRO3 ankle grippers position the tight and seal around shoecover
- Progetto X2 Air seat pad for comfort and improved airflow
- Ankle zippers with reflective tape for high visibility
A waterproof, windproof thermal winter glove using the exceptional BOA system to ensure you have a glove that fits you in the best possible way!
- Made with Cannondale pro team input for the worst conditions
- Boa dial allows wrist to open wide for easy on and off
- OutDry technology completely seals out rain to keep you dry
- Fleece lining for warmth
- Silicone pattern on palm for good handlebar grip